Thursday, September 30, 2010

Cavemen Celebrate Vital Record Today

Yabba Dabba Do!!!!
Today is the 50th anniversary of The Flintstones, everyone's favorite modern stone-age family!

Fred, Wilma, Barney and Betty debuted before I did, which means I can't really remember a time without them on the family tube.  In fact, as a budding genealogist, I insisted on a visit to the Flintstone's "village of origin" when I was just a girl in pigtails...

 Back in 1971 our family jumped in our Valiant and headed to Bedrock City in Custer, South Dakota.  After a long trip in the non-air-conditioned 'family outing mobile' (as my friend Cindee fondly referred to it) we unstuck our sweaty thighs from the green plastic-like upholstery and jumped back in time to an earlier mode of transportation:


Good times, good times...Happy Anniversary Flintstones!  

Check out Google's tribute to the Flintstones by going to www.Google.com - if you're an iGoogle you'll need to sign out for a moment to get the effect.

2 comments:

Michelle Goodrum said...

I love the Flintstones!! Those are adorable pictures of you.

Heather Wilkinson Rojo said...

I was going to comment on the photo of the Flintstone mobile (love that opening scene of every cartoon with that car!) but I also loved your mention of the family vacation car! We had one of those old 1970s station wagons, (three rows of seats, wood siding, roof rack, it seemed a mile long when I was a kid!) and it lasted until my own daughter was about eight years old! It had about 250,000 miles on it and took two generations camping from Maine to Florida and as far west as Niagra Falls. Now I see that same station wagon on movies like "National Lampoon's Vacation" or in re-runs of the Brady Bunch and I miss it so much!