Thursday, April 15, 2010

I Thot I Saw A White House Tweet

While twolling for ancestows at the National Awchives...I thot I saw a White House tweet.
I DID!  I DID!  I DID see a White House Tweet at the Wibraiwey of Congwess!

Or at least we soon will.

The Library of Congress plans to archive every single public tweet ever made.   Talk about a substantial amount of records for our descendants to comb through!

Since they began in 2006 Twitter says billions of tweets have been created.  And nearly 55 million are sent every day.

According to the BBC News, the digital archive will include tweets from President Obama that he twittered on election day, and the first tweet from Twitter co-founder Jack Dorsey.

"I think it shows the tweets are an interesting part of the historical record," says Alex MacGillibray, Twitter's general counsel.

Read the Library of Congress' take on the plan at the News from the Library of Congress blog.

Read "Tweet Preservation" at the Twitter blog.

Google is also getting in on the act by announcing it is going to make the Twitter archive searchable for users.  Type in a topic and find out what people said about it.  Called Replay, the new Google feature will only cover the last two months of tweets.  However, they've set a goal of covering the entire archive back to March 2006 later in summer 2010.

What do you think?  Are you saving all your tweets for the generations to come?

No comments: