Friday, May 23, 2008

Enumerate Me!...and him...and her...and her...



Last year a popular video went viral on YouTube. You’ve probably heard of it by now. It’s called Google Me. A guy named Jim Killeen goes on a quest to find other guys named Jim Killean using Google. A quest he says that “all started when I Googled my name…”

Well, heck, we genealogists have googled a lot of our names over the years. So I’ve decided to do a shameless genealogical spoof called Enumerate Me!” "It all started when I searched my name in the census, and then I searched other genealogists names in the 1900 census…”


OK, so I couldn’t find an EXACT match for "Lisa Cooke," but I’m content with the only Lisa Cook found in the 1900 census. She was born Sept 1859 in Tennessee. A widow at the age of 40, she ran the family farm in Cedar, Carroll Co., AR which also housed her son Fred, and mother Molly Robinson.

There were 13 choices for Louise Cooke. I liked the one found in Schuykill Haven, Pennsylvania. She was born in England in 1846 and came to America in 1867. Married to a coal miner foreman named William (ah, there's another name match!), Louise had 5 children, though only 4 survived. A daughter named Louise still lived with the couple.

Oh, but I couldn’t just stop with my name. No genealogist is safe! So on to my fellow genealogy podcaster, Bill Puller of The Genealogy Tech Podcast.


William Puller of Camden, NY was born in Scotland in Nov. 1878 was one of 23 William Pullers in the 1900 census. He was a weaver of rugs, and at the age of 17 he immigrated to America. In 1900 at the age of 21 he was boarding with 84 year old John Meyer of Germany and his family in Camden. It was a household full of industrious English speaking immigrants from Canada, Ireland, Scotland, and England, not surprising as John’s much younger wife was from England.


Myrtle Dear (which appears as "Dear, Myrtle" on the census form, lol) lived in Steen Creek, Rankin Co., MS, and was the 13 year old sister of Annie Rogers. Myrtle was born in Jan of 1881 and lived with the Rogers along with her mother Jane. The Dear women were pulling together in this farming community as both Annie Rogers and Jane Dear were widows with children still at home. She was one of two Myrtle Dears to choose from.


Blogger Apple of Apple's Blog had quite a popular name in 1900 with 42 appearing in the census. My personal fave is Apple Appinlove of Upton, Wilkes Co., GA, a 16 year old black man born May of 1884 in Georgia. He was a day laborer living with his brother Zan Ware. A close second is Apple Pie Bell of Watters, Floyd Co., GA a 13 year old also born in GA. I knew Georgia was famous for peaches, but I guess apples too!


Just one Randolph Seaver appears in 1900. He's a 53 year old living in Corry, Erie County PA. Randolph Seaver (we'll call him "Randy Seaver" like our friend and blogger) a native of New York, was a Physician and husband of 19 years to Nellie.


And finally we have nine ladies by the name of Anna Schander (not quite Anna-Karin like the Swedish genealogy podcaster, but they'll do) including one living in Ottawa, LaSalle Co., Illinois. She was born in February of 1870 born in Illinois to a German mother, and was the wife of a bartender named Joseph.

I guess I’m the genealogist who found myself – and fellow genealogists - in the 1900 census that is!

5 comments:

Charley "Apple" Grabowski said...

Apple Jack sounds interesting, there were two. I tried to find Apple Charlotte with no luck but there were four Charlotte Apple's.

Tim Agazio said...

Lisa,

What a fun exercise! I plugged Tim Agazio into the 1900 census and came up with zero hits. I then searched them all and still zero hits. I can't believe that of all of the people enumerated from the first census to the 1930 edition that I'm the only one with my name...it's not fair. As a consolation I searched using my first and middle names (Timothy Craig) and there were many hits, but somehow it's just not the same.

Tim

Lisa Louise Cooke said...

I didn't forget you Tim, but I found what you found - no Tim Agazio. But just think: You are one in a million! :-) Lisa

footnoteMaven said...

Lisa:

I found eight Mavens, although only one of them was female. She was Mary - even though she worked as a servant.

Thanks for the fun!

footnoteMaven

footnoteMaven said...

Sorry Lisa, should have qualified my comment by saying in the 1900 Census.

There were many Mavens throughout but few women.

fM